Breaking News

Denis Shapovalov: Roger Federer is a myth. I tried to imitate him

In an interview to the Gazzetta dello Sport, Denis Shapovalov commented on his biggest idols. 'Well, of course Roger Federer,' admitted Shapovalov. 'He is a myth for the younger tennis players, and then I have the one-handed backhand, I tried to imitate him. But I have also always followed Rafa (Nadal) closely as well, for the strength and the derermination he puts on the court and because, like me, he is lefty.'

Nadal has been indicating Shapovalov as one of the most promising younger players for the future. 'What an honor,' Shapovalov admitted. 'Playing with Rafa is always a very nice challenge, a great sportsman from what you can only learn.'

Commenting on how he feels on the ATP Tour, the 19-year-old said: 'In the beginning, I did not feel comfortable. Being around all these top players while I was out of the top 100 made me feel uncomfortable. From the start of the season I instead felt better. I know what waits for me, I try to enjoy the beauty of this job, it means travelling around the world, seeing so nice places. Now I am happy and honored to be part of this world.'

Asked about the transition from junior to professional tennis, Shapovalov concluded: 'It's a very important transition and having around the right people who help you not to feel too alone when you are away from home, your family, your friends, is the key. And I am lucky to have a big team that helps me on all levels. My mother Tessa, even if she travels less, always stays next to me. I owe to her my technique.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Spq8EJ

No comments