Breaking News

I did not expect to beat Serena Williams at the US Open, says Roberta Vinci

Roberta Vinci was hosted by Sky Sport on Sunday to speak about her career and tennis in general. The Italian, who retired from the professional tennis at the 2018 Rome Open losing to Aleksandra Krunic in a three-set first round match, reflected on her long journey in the world of tennis: "If I look back at my career I think of the sacrifice, passion and many satisfactions. I am happy, I had a great career and I could not ask for more."

Her most important successes came just before and just after 30 which is considered as an advanced age for a tennis player: "I was already aware, mature. I lived them in a full way. I did not expect them to be honest. I did not expect to beat Serena, win all the Grand Slam doubles tournaments, becoming world No. 1 in doubles, winning the Fed Cup."

On the 16-year-old Italian Lorenzo Musetti who won the Australian Open junior title, Vinci said that there should not be too many expectations: "He and his camp have to be good in handling this success. In order to get to certain levels, you have to be calm. I am so happy for his win, he looks like a smart and humble guy."

Will she return on the WTA Tour as a coach travelling for 30 weeks a year around the world? "Maybe not 30 weeks, a little bit less but I definitely want to stay in tennis that has been my whole life. Now a chapter ended but I like to follow matches. The coach needs to understand the player and what he needs. I am very exigent."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam t

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RXVPsw

No comments