Breaking News

I got offered money to lose matches, says Lucas Pouille

After defeating Maximilian Marterer to reach the Australian Open third round, Lucas Pouille revealed he once got approached from people for match-fixing. 'It's very easy to go and betz it's anonymous, and even more in the Eastern countries', said Pouille in an interview to RMC Sport. 'I played in Romanian Challengers where there was a group of 4-5 people who supported me like crazy and then the day after they were against me because they has made a bet.'

Pouille was offered money through Facebook and social media. 'I never replied, it's not worth, it was forgotten. I find ridiculous to sell your matches or accept to lose a set for the money. You have to work, just like all the other players did, to raise the rankings. I can tell myself that these players need money to travel and when they get offered €5,000 to lose a match while they can earn €1,000 by winning the title, I think it's difficult for them to say not, a player like Guillermo Olaso got a five-year ban, well done to them.'

Pouille said he is in favour of eliminating bets in some tournaments. 'There is so much money generated by bets, I think it's very complicated to figure out, but we could remove bets on Futures.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FVCW2Q

No comments