Breaking News

Mardy Fish explains why he became USA Davis Cup captain

Mardy Fish became the 41st United States Davis Cup captain last Wednesday. The United States Tennis Association announced the news through a press conference on Wednesday that involved Fish as well.

Fish, who achieved a career-high ranking at No. 8 and retired from tennis after dealing with heart issues, said: 'I have great relationships with all of those guys that I played for and with. An incredible amount of respect for Patrick McEnroe and Jim Courier. I can't tell you enough about how supportive Jim has been since they decided to name me as the captain, as well as throughout when I played with him. It was so cool to be part of playing and having someone like him. As a player, you sit down on the changeover. It doesn't matter what situation you were in, had been in at that time, you knew that he had been in the exact same situation at one time or another. It felt really good to be able to sit down next to someone who was supportive, who was a friend as well as your coach and a captain. Just learning from them and understanding the support. I'll certainly be a player's captain, I mean, just my relationships with the guys, the relationships that I've made are very special throughout the years. I played in this era not too long ago. To a lot of the guys, this is a coaching aspect as well. The bottom line is you want to win in this competition. A lot of these guys I played against. There's a unique effect there, to be able to draw on past experiences of some of the guys I'm sure we will play in the competition. That's nice. I think the hardest part, which is the most exciting part as well for me, in my opinion, is just trying to mould together the future with the present. I think it will be easy. Everyone gets along really well. But that's the most exciting and challenging part of all of it.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RtcaFo

No comments