Breaking News

2019 Miami Open - Prize Money: Roger Federer, Djokovic seek big cheques

The Miami Open offers as much prize money as the BNP Paribas Open, putting $1.35 million at stake for the men's and women's singles winners. Novak Djokovic leads the way, the Serb will seek his seventh title here. Miami definitely brings him good memories having won his maiden Masters 1000 title in 2007. Djokovic last triumphed here in 2016, while last year he lost to Benoit Paire in the opening round. Roger Federer instead will try to conquer his fourth trophy. The Swiss, who opens his run against Matthew Ebden or a qualifier, last won here in 2017 defeating Rafael Nadal, who instead withdrew from the tournament for the second year in a row. John Isner is the defending champion, last year the American won his maiden 1000 title defeating Alexander Zverev in a three-set final.

The Tournament Director James Blake spoke about the new Miami Open venue: “It’s tough to get top players excited, but they seem very excited about having their own suites. I haven’t heard any players have any major complaints — of course, there’s little things, but they seem happy with the courts, the parking, the extra space, all the amenities and the ability to make it bigger and better. I haven’t heard any of the skeptics say I told you so yet.”

Blake concluded: “I try to know my strengths and weaknesses and one of my weaknesses is that kind of vision. I’ve been on the property of two personal houses where we’ve started ground up and I did not see anything. My wife and architect were like, ‘this is going to be here, this is going to look amazing,’ so I’ve learned to trust others. When IMG and Stephen Ross said they’re going to make this happen and they showed me the renderings, I didn’t see it at all. But I learned to trust people that know what they’re doing. I was very pleasantly surprised it could be built that quickly. It is unrecognizable from six months ago.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2ul02bo

No comments