Breaking News

Belinda Bencic: 'I can learn something from everything Roger Federer says'

In an interview to Tennis Net, Belinda Bencic commented on what she learned from playing Hopman Cup with Roger Federer for three years in a row. They won two titles together, and in 2020 the event may disappear from the tennis calendar. Bencic's perspective towards Federer changed. "I have a lot of respect", said the Basel native. "Even if now I turned a bit more relaxed when he is around, but in the beginning it was pretty like: 'Oh my god!' But now I think it's fantastic that Roger speaks with me really a lot. I can learn something from everything he does or says. The way Roger plays, travels, warmes up, everything gives me a lot of experience. The Hopman Cup is not only amazing in tennis but also a great experience for me in order to grow."

Asked if ITF is forgetting the Fed Cup over the new Davis Cup format, Bencic replied: "No, not at all. We were also asked about it and there are pros and cons everywhere. It's nice to play at home. And on the other side, it's also very tiring to fly to Australia in the middle of the season and playing on grass."

Asked if travelling is less exciting now than when she was a 15-year-old, Bencic replied: "I was going to school at the time and I was playing just a tournament a year. So not every week, that's impossible at 14 or 15 years. But I still like travelling, even when it's very tiring, because the season is so long. In the beginning you are intrigued by it. As soon as your career goes on, you have to spend some day off in order to live a bit. That's difficult if you are not home and you are in other countries."

On her physical condition, she concluded: "Now I am doing well, that's the most important thing. I just go step by step. I cannot say i want to crack the top 10 straight forward. That would not be right because other players play well too."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2FubW86

No comments