Breaking News

Federer: People remember my 20 Slams, but don't forget my other 80 titles

In an interview, Roger Federer commented on what his 100 career titles reflect. After his triumph in Dubai, the Swiss player said: "I played a lot of tennis between Slams as well because a lot of people remember the 20 I won at the Slam level but I don't wanna say forget about the 80 that I have away from it and I have lost a lot of finals as well. I lost over 50 finals and that's what I see. I see a lot of tennis, I see a lot of running and (it's a) privilege still to be playing this sport right now today."

On Jimmy Connors's 109 career-titles, Federer added: "We are living in an age today where all the records have to be shattered. Not for me. I am just happy I am still healthy, happy that I have such a wonderful team, family, they all have been supporting me for so long, so I can't thank them enough. Ever reach milestones like this along the way is wonderful but I am really not here to shatter all the records out there and I think what Jimmy did was an unbelievable achievement and he should be proud of that. I am proud of other things that I have done and this tonight was a very special evening, playing Stefanos and seeing the future coming up in the tennis game is part of this whole journey and it's not about breaking every single record to be quite honest."

Federer also commented on the reasons behind his aggressive tactics in the Dubai Open final against Tsitsipas: "I had to be that way playing a youngster. He had a great run in Marseille, that's what I also told him, and to back it up here again this week, he had a brutal match against Monfils yesterday, so he should be very proud of his run and also he started so well in Australia, when he made semis and also beating me along the way. I think he is definitely gonna be a future star of our game, he already kind of is but we will see so much more of him and I always enjoy playing the next generation that comes through because one day I will be sitting on my couch and I will be watching them and enjoying their tennis."

Federer is playing the BNP Paribas Open currently. He won his opening round against Peter Gojowczyk in straight sets, and next faces compatriot and friend, Stan Wawrinka in the third round. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2J9TWVC

No comments