Breaking News

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga loses Miami Open Qualifiers regardless of disorder

     "When I fly, it takes me two, three days to recovery, to be good physically...it was just five years ago it was diagnosed. In everyday activities, it doesn't stop me from doing anything, " Jo-Wilfried Tsonga had told the French press from L'Equipe about his sickle cell disease before the Australian Open. Sickle cell is a blood disorder of the hemoglobin that causes the normally rounded red blood cells to become sickle-shaped and get caught in the arteries causing pain. Some people have severe and yet others have mild complications and pain to various organs. It can cause shortness of breath and fatigue since blood cells tend to lack sufficient oxygen. Air travel tends to compromise the condition. 

     It was at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells that Jo-Wilfried Tsonga wasn't feeling up to the activities and had to withdraw. He explained further to the French Eurosport saying "I am sickle cell...when I get off the plane, I'm not the same anymore and I need...days to recover my physical abilities, I feel a bit tired, as if I have some kind of flu." But it was the Miami Open, another premier tournament that many players take pride in participating. Tsonga was able to play and won his first round from Lukas Rosol 6-3, 6-4. The second round was with Uruguay's Pablo Cuevas and lost 6-4, 6-4. The first set he played quite competitively, demonstrating great cross court strategies and speed. But it was often too many unforced errors that prohibited him from a victory. He'd lose 6-4. The second set Tsonga played it rather fierce and was up a break many times throughout the set but Cuevas showed the most winners and tactics by opening up the court and having winners down the middle or at the corners surprising Tsonga and outplaying him. The Uruguarian won the second set and the match 6-4, 6-4. The Frenchman says that "Today, it allows me to regulate a little better and to make choices like for Indian Wells where it will be too short for me...I will go and do the other tournaments where I'm sure to be good, like that, I avoid injury."

     Tsonga is onto the next tournament most likely in April. Hopefully the rest will produce a more vibrant and competitively successful Tsonga throughout the season.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2U6DKZi

No comments