Breaking News

Alexander Zverev: 'Novak Djokovic, tell us what's your plan'

In a press conference in Munich, Alexander Zverev commented on the ATP Player's Council President Novak Djokovic reportedly backing for Chris Kermode to leave the ATP Board Presidency. Zverev showed his doubts about the topic. "Novak has been part of the tour for several years. He is the best player, number one in the world. Us, as players, want to look at what's your plan, Novak? Because Chris Kermode has already done a lot of good things for us, he increased the prize money, added new events to the calendar that pay us well. The tour didn't get worse with him."

He warned that Rafael Nadal is still a top favourite in the French Open: "He is a player who improves as the match goes on."

Zverev aims to retain his title in Munich: I did not come to Munich as a tourist. I practised four to five hours a day and I worked hard. I want to prepare in a proper way for Madrid, Rome and Paris tournaments. In the training sessions I played well enough once again in Monte Carlo and Barcelona, I felt I made a good impact. But if you look at my last years, I barely won three-set matches on clay. I lost these matches this year. It does not matter the ranking position I will be heading into Paris. When I play bad, I can lose too many. When I play well, I can beat anybody", said Zverev, who will try to defend 2,210 points in the remaining tournaments of the clay season. “Obviously I didn’t play my best the past few weeks. But I feel good on the court, I’m happy on the court and this is the most important thing. I feel like my game is pretty much back on the practice courts in the way I hit the ball, but I just have to show it in the matches. I think I’ll have a few very tough matches and if I win them, I think I’m in good shape and good form. We’ll see how it goes." He expects a tough competition: "Especially in Munich, it is always very, very difficult and there are always a lot of good players. And even the past two years when I won I had to go through a lot of tough matches and a lot of great players and great opponents. For me, it’s great to be here but I know it’s not going to be an easy week and I’m looking forward to it". He feels confident: "It’s always a great feeling when you know you’ve done this here and you know that you normally play well here and this gives you confidence. This is exactly what I need and I’m happy to be here.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GUN4s8

No comments