Breaking News

Dominic Thiem: Rafael Nadal will always be a favorite on clay

Over the last two years, looking at the results, Dominic Thiem has been the second best clay-court player after Rafael Nadal. The Austrian believes the Spaniard will be a favorite once again. "As long as Rafa is playing, he will always be the top favourite on any clay court title but I think there are more serious challengers to him than the last years maybe. Sascha [Zverev] always, Novak [Djokovic] is back on the top of his game. I hope me and then there are the really young guys. Felix [Auger-Aliassime] I think he likes clay a lot so he played amazing in Miami and also very young guys like Stefanos [Tsitsipas], [Denis] Shapovalov, there are many serious young challengers for us, I think," the 25-year-old said in Monte Carlo, where he is the fourth seed.

On Djokovic, Thiem added: "He’s on the top of his game again. Won the last three Slams in a row which is amazing and I think he also has in his mind that he can beat Rafa anywhere. Last year he obviously was not on his top so there’s one more really strong opponent for Rafa, which makes the whole clay-court season even more interesting I would say and even us players we are very curious how it will be, and who are the biggest challengers."

On his split with his coach Gunter Bresnik, Thiem concluded: "I want Günter to stay in my team, I owe him everything, my whole tennis career, and he is one of the best coaches, that's for sure. That's why I hope that he stays on my team. But for now, I've taken a new path tennis-wise. It's not a new start for me. The situation was the same in Rio, except only I knew about it. Tennis-wise, there's definitely a separation. But I feel very well the way it is now, on and off-court, that's the most important. That's why I hope, I'll play a good clay court season. It's not as bad as everyone thinks. It's quite a normal situation when you take a break or break-up after such a long time. That happens to everyone, to couples, to tennis players and their coaches. That's why it's not bad and I'll be fine."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2IoN0m9

No comments