Breaking News

I would love to beat Roger Federer, says Joao Sousa

In an interview with Punto de Break, Joao Sousa was asked what player he would like to beat. The Portoguese player said: "If I have to choose something, I would like to beat Federer. I only played once against him, in Halle, he defeated me in the third set (6-7, 6-4, 6-2). He is a player who at a world level is a reference point, considered as one of the best guys in history. It's not a goal but I hopefully can beat him before retiring."

Asked how it feels to be the best player ever in his country, Sousa added: "I do not really think about it a lot. I consider myself one more player, the only thing I try is to give my best every day. Maybe, when I stop playing, I can enjoy a bit more these records, but now I'd rather put aside these numbers and statistics. When you give the best out of yourself, you have nothing to show. I obviously feel proud for having won last year in Estoril, it was my childhood dream and I know it's something big in Portugal, but I stay feet grounded and it gives me a big strength to work."

But he may be a reference point for the country: "I do not like to be an example at all, but I am someone who is living of tennis, so on this aspect, I am a reference. When I started, the people did not think that I could become professional; now it's very different. Kids see me on TV, the parents see that it's possible, now you have conditions to become a tennis player and that's important. I had to open this way so that other talents come after, so I feel very proud of that."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2ZvCqz6

No comments