Breaking News

Stan Wawrinka recalls 2014 Monte Carlo title over Roger Federer

Stan Wawrinka opened his campaign at the Monte Carlo Masters on a high note beating Lucas Pouille in straight sets, 7-5 6-3, on Sunday. In a press conference, the Swiss recalled the 2014 title that he won defeating Roger Federer in a three-set final. "This has always been one of the best tournaments, and we like Monte-Carlo very much. And the fact of actually having won here is very special for me. We all think that Monte-Carlo is a very nice tournament. We feel that way. We say it. We all say that. For me, winning here, the final against Roger on that occasion, was just fantastic and I have great memories of that", said Wawrinka, who won his maiden Masters 1000 title here five years ago.

On his win over Pouille, Wawrinka added: "I think the beginning was a bit tough. I was a bit hesitating. I was a bit slow. I was nervous. I was looking a little bit for the condition. He took the advantage. He broke me directly. Then I start to play a bit better. I start to know a little bit more about what I had to do. I broke back. He did one mistake. Then I did one good point and suddenly the match turned. He felt under pressure. I start to play a bit better, more aggressive, and I'm happy with the win."

On his next match against Marco Cecchinato or Damir Dzumhur, Wawrinka added: "It's going to be an interesting match, for sure. Dzumhur, we played a few times but the only hard court or indoor, so I know a little bit more how to play against him. I never played or practice with Cecchinato. I saw him play many times. Great player, especially on clay court. He loves the clay court. He's really a good player, so it's going to be an interesting match."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Gsco8C

No comments