Breaking News

I am closer to Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic - Sousa

Joao Sousa faced Novak Djokovic multiple times last year, and the match in the US Open showed the Portuguese can be competitive against the legends of the game. In an interview, he said: "I would like to be a better player, try to play better against the best player in the world like I did many times, but I feel I am closer to them and I can beat them. Feeling competitive, playing well, evolve yourself is like a drug. That's what I want the most." About his future, Sousa said he will play until his body allows him to. "The desire to compete and to have this lifestyle is so high. As long as I am fit, motivated and willing to improve and play tennis, I want to continue, I do not know if for two or four more years, but my goal is to play for a few more years."

"I always wanted to be closer to my family, I do not know if in Guimarães or Lisbon, for example, but I want to be back in Portugal. I imagine myself being married, with sons, two or three. I do not know if I will be the national team' captain if I want to be a coach, but I want to stay connected to the sport I love. My closest ones are the key, they spend so much time and make so many sacrifices to be with me because if I were not successful it would not be the same. I want to be in the best position to deliver my best game." I think the season is going well, it obviously can always be better. I feel I evolved a lot, unfortunately, results did not follow the game level I showed. I am calm, good results will come. It's always a special tournament, even more, because I won it, but I have to face it in a normal way, without putting extra pressure on myself. I do not think I have to show something just because I won last year. I will just play like I always do, to win. Winning this title was my childhood dream. This year is another year. I would like to be supported again. I know that is going to be packed for the semifinal and final. Hopefully, there will be at least a Portuguese in those rounds so that it can be an amazing tournament again."  

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2H0ZBJp

No comments