Breaking News

Jelena Ostapenko: 'After a Major title, everyone expects you to win'

In an interview to ABC, Jelena Ostapenko recalled her 2017 French Open success. The Latvian player said: "I felt a lot of pressure. When I came back home, outside the airport a lot of fans were waiting for me. I was not used to that. And then after winning a Grand Slam, everyone thinks that you will win all the tournaments and that's not like this."

On her loss to Kiki Bertens in Madrid, Ostapenko added: "I do not think I played my best match. I still had a lot of opportunities to win, because there were key moments where I could have made a comeback in the match. Obviously, I can play at a much higher level than the one I did against Bsrtens, but everything has its time. I had a very good first round match against Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, I think that if I played the same against Kiki Bertens I would have had much more opportunities to win. When I get confidence back, I am a dangerous player."

Asked if her gamestyle is an aggressive one, Ostapenko replied: "It's aggressive, of course, a hard game. The most important thing is that everything depends on me. If I play well, I can beat almost anyone. But there are some bad days and overcoming them is very important: this is how you become a champion."

Asked if she feels pressure in her attempt to be back on the top ten, Ostapenko replied: "I think I had enough pressure after winning the 2017 French Open, and now I feel much better. I was injured in the last season, almost three months out workout playing anything and now I am coming back."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HdLq4T

No comments