Breaking News

Laura Robson Keen to Get Back to British Fed Cup Team

Tennis - Former Wimbledon junior champion Laura Robson has said she is keen to get back to the British Fed Cup squad. The 25-year-old has dealt with several injuries over the years and has struggled to find consistency in her form, dropping to No. 744. But she says she has been making progress in recent weeks.

Speaking to Tennis365, Robson, who is currently working with BT Sports as a commentator, says, “Even though I have had a great time working with the fantastic BT Sport team, I desperately want to be back on the Fed Cup team rather than in the commentary box. It has been great to see the team doing so well and I have found it hard to contain my excitement at times because I want them to succeed so much. Winning two matches and getting back into the World Group is a massive boost and I want to give myself every chance to start winning matches against consistency and get in the team if possible. It has been such an exciting few months for the Fed Cup team. We have waited so long for a home tie in the competition and we could see what a difference it made in Bath and now in London. Having a home crowd behind us makes such a big difference and you could see that our team raised their game as a result. To have a big arena like London’s Copper Box sold out with 5,000 people cheering on the team shows that there is a big appetite there to support women’s tennis in this country if we can give fans something to cheer about.”

Speaking about her progress on court, Robson says, "I feel like I have made some progress in recent weeks, even though I feel very old when I wake up after matches these days. I am aching in places that never used to hurt, but that’s just part of what playing a long match can do to you. When you haven’t been on court for a while, you forget how much you put your body through and it has been nice to win some matches and it was hard to come through some of the rehab periods and keep motivation high, but I want to give this every possible chance. You worry you are going to be terrible when you return after such a long time dealing with injuries, but I feel like I am getting there now and it is so nice to be back out playing again.”

Robson has a 5-4 record on the ITF circuit this year, playing in only three ITF events - the most recent one coming in April where she came through the qualifying draw to reach the last 16 where she retired after losing the first set to top-seeded Harriet Dart, of Great Britain.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2WqlW9p

No comments