Breaking News

Roger Federer: Somebody criticized me in the past for skipping clay

Last year, the Madrid Open Tournament Owner Ion Tiriac heavily criticized Roger Federer for skipping the entire clay season, making a comparison with a Formula 1 driver skipping five races during the year. The Swiss was probably aware of those comments and in an interview, as quoted by Focus.de, he said: "I felt well physically and there was nobody in the team who was against it. I think somebody criticized me because I was apparently resting in the previous years during the clay season. But I just took a decision. The beauty of tennis is that you do not know what happens and that's also the secret of the Laver Cup success, an innovative concept."

On golfer Tiger Woods winning the Augusta Masters, Federer said: "What an absolute giant comeback". On basketball star Dirk Nowitzki, he added: "That career was amazing, 21 years in a club, which doesn't happen that often."

The Basel native enjoyed spending the whole April month in his country: "Switzerland is the best. Staying at home is differente, even if I feel well around the world and I have friends everywhere."

On Alexander Zverev's tough season - the German only reached one semifinal this year, in Acapulco where he lost in the final - Federer concluded: "I gave him some suggestions. He need to help himself and needs to see that as a challenge, as one more opportunity. I know what he is going through, I also had those moments where I thought: It cannot go on like this. But I went forward."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Wjq3UR

No comments