Breaking News

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: I have a lot of questions about how I'm going to end my career

French tennis star Jo-Wilfried Tsonga says he knows that he will not be able to play on the tour for very long and wants to be able to retire on his own terms acknowledging the fact that the current tennis shutdown had made things uncertain for his retirement plans as well.

The Frenchman will turn 35 years old on April 17th and in a Facebook Live chat, he commented, "My body makes me feel that it will not last much longer. I also have a lot of questions about how I'm going to end my career. I'm going to be 35 years old soon, my body makes me feel that it won't last much longer. This is why I want to be on top for when we resume, to be able to leave with my head held high and not by being lowered or by the small door."

Tsonga is currently ranked No. 49 in the world. He peaked at No. 5 in the world rankings in February 2012.

The Frenchman rose to fame at the 2008 Australian Open where he reached the final as an unseeded player - beating four seeded players along the way, including a straight-sets win over No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals - before losing to Novak Djokovic in the final.

He has also reached the semi-finals at the 2010 Australian Open, the 2013 and 2015 French Opens, and at Wimbledon in 2011 and 2012 as well as the final of the 2011 ATP World Tour Finals.

Tsonga was part of the French team that won the Davis Cup in 2017 and won an Olympic silver medal in doubles with partner Michaël Llodra at the 2012 Summer Olympics.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3aa4ufI

No comments