Breaking News

Bianca Andreescu: I want to surpass Serena Williams and her wins

Defending US Open champion Bianca Andreescu says she wants to surpass the greatest female tennis players of all time, in an interview to CNN.

Bianca Andreescu says she wants to surpass Serena Williams and other great players

Andreecu, who is 20 years old , stunned the tennis world last year when she defeated Serena Williams to win the US Open in New York and says she wants to surpass the best players of all time.

In an interview to CNN, Andreescu says, "I want to surpass Serena [Williams] and her wins. Maybe even Chrissy Evert, who knows? Margaret Court. I like to dream big; it gives me more motivation to actually step on the court and continue doing what I'm doing. Everything I do, I always give 150% and I always want to be the best at it. For my tennis career I put in so much effort and sacrificed a lot, so I want to be the best. Surpassing those players would make me the best but whatever God has in store for me."

Margaret Court leads the all-time Grand Slam list with 24 Grand Slam singles titles, followed by Serena Williams who has won 23 Slams and is chasing Court's record of 24 Slams. Steffi Graf is third on the all-time list with 22 Grand Slams. Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova are both tied on fifth spot on the all-time list with 18 Grand Slams in singles.

Andreescu, who has not played since the WTA Finals in October, has committed to playing the US Open in New York in August. "I actually didn't think tennis would come back so soon just because it's such an international sport but, honestly, I'm just super happy to go back there and hopefully defend my title. I know everyone involved is going to do their best to keep everyone as safe as possible. Just looking at all the other sports, I think it's time for tennis to come back. Playing in front of the crowd just brings the hype into everything. I would say I perform really good under pressure so I felt the crowd gave me a push. There will definitely be people watching at home so it would be good to keep that in the back of our minds."

Bianca Andreescu has a career-high ranking of No. 4 in the world, and is the highest-ranked Canadian in the history of the WTA rankings. She is the first Canadian tennis player to win a Grand Slam singles title and the first player to win a Grand Slam singles title as a teenager since Maria Sharapova in 2006.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2NqREki

No comments