Breaking News

Marin Cilic: I have tested negative for coronavirus

Croatian tennis star Marin Cilic has announced that he has tested negative for the coronavirus and he believes those have been in contact with him over the last few days have no reasons for concern.

Cilic, the 2014 US Open champion, participated at the Adria Tour event in Zadar over this past weekend. 

After the group stage matches were concluded, tournament director for the Adria Tour event in Zadar Goran Ivanisevic came to the court and announced the final had been called off. 

Less than an hour before the scheduled final between Novak Djokovic and Andrey Rublev, it was revealed that Grigor Dimitrov tested positive for the coronavirus.

The organizers didn't want to risk anything further so they called off the final and tested players and those who have been in close contact with Dimitrov. 

Cilic's fellow compatriot Borna Coric has announced this morning that he has tested positive for the coronavirus.

"After the events that took place in Zadar over the weekend and the interruption of the Adria Tour, I would like to inform you that I did a test for the COVID-19 virus as soon as possible and that my results were negative," Cilic said in a statement, as revealed by the Croatian Tennis Federation. "Although I do not have any symptoms associated with the coronavirus and I believe that all those who have been in contact with me in recent days have no reasons for concerns, I will go into self-isolation for 14 days because despite a negative test result, it is important to help reduce the spread of the possible infection. I will fully follow all instructions related to self-isolation and I will carefully monitor the development of the situation. If there are any changes, I will inform everyone in a timely manner. Thanks again to everyone for their support and inquiries about me and my family’s health. I wish you all to stay healthy!"

Marin Cilic failed to deliver in front of his home fans 

Cilic, a former world No. 3, lost each of his three matches played at the Adria Tour event in Zadar.

The Croatian was beaten by Andrey Rublev and Alexander Zverev in three sets, before Serb Danilo Petrovic saw him off in straight sets. 

But it should be noted that Cilic was playing his first matches since early-March. 

Marin Cilic is now ranked at No. 37 in the world.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3fOTIie

No comments