Breaking News

Diego Schwartzman on tour resumption: I don’t want to face Djokovic, Nadal or Federer

Argentina's Diego Schwartzman says he is looking forward to getting back on the tour but does not want to face the top guys - like Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer.

Diego Schwartzman on playing Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer 

The ATP Tour will return in August in the United States with events planned in Washington, followed by the Cincinnati Masters and the US Open - both being played in New York. 

In an interview to the ATP Tour website, Schwartzman says, "I was out many weeks. When I was going back to [California] to play Indian Wells, the ATP suspended the tournament, so I came back to Argentina and since then I haven’t moved. I really, really miss the Tour, many of the guys, many friends. I hope to play in August again and be ready for that moment.”

The World No. 13 says he is not keen on playing the top guys in the initial tournaments since he will be playinng after a long time. "I don’t want to face Djokovic, Nadal or Federer. Federer is not going to play but for sure [I don’t want to face] Nadal on clay in Paris. We are not going to play many tournaments, but [they will be] big tournaments, so playing against the big [players] I think is not going to be the best. I’m looking forward to play every single tournament. Missing the Tour since March, it’s too many months outside the courts. I want to play… It’s very, very important to have good practice, good training these months and be ready for that moment. I just want to be there, be healthy, and be ready for the matches.”

Diego Schwartzman has won three ATP singles titles, and reached his career-high singles ranking of world No. 11 in June 2018. He reached the quarterfinals of the 2017 and the 2019 US Open; and the semi-finals of the 2019 French Open. Roger Federer has won more Grand Slams in men's tennis history than any other player - with 20 Grand Slams; followed by Nadal with 19 Grand Slams and Djokovic with 17 Grand Slams. Federer has said he will not compete in 2020 due to a knee injury.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/38ele5Y

No comments