Breaking News

Rafael Nadal: 'I am from another era'

2020 is certainly an anomalous season for the world of tennis, a season where the sport has stopped due to the Pandemic and where it is difficult to return to normal. Novak Djokovic started the season in the best way, winning the ATP Cup with his Serbia and then winning the Australian Open, the seventeenth Grand Slam of his incredible career. One of the main goals of Novak Djokovic is to reach and exceed Federer's record of Grand Slam titles: the Swiss leads this particular ranking with 20 Grand Slam titles, ahead of Rafael Nadal's 19 and Novak Djokovic's 17: thanks to the absence of Federer and Nadal, Djokovic will have a big chance at the next US Open where he will try to bring the other two world tennis phenomena closer. In an interview with GQ, Rafael Nadal said that like any citizen he has the right to express his opinion on various matters concerning Spain.

Nadal on the social networks

“I am from another era, I was not born with social networks nor have I grown up with them, I live a little outside of all that, I promise you that I do not have the perception of that criticism. I am a Spanish citizen like any other, I am an athlete like others are engineers or electricians, and I have the same right to express my opinion as any other citizen” - Rafael Nadal said. “What I do tell you is that I am not going to enter into the radicalization that many intend to implant in this society, in which they try to make controversy with everything. I never spoke ill of a government, I expressed an opinion that I believed at that time and the truth is that I expressed it with the utmost respect. What happens is that today absolutely nothing can be said, because unfortunately, they are radicalizing us. I am not interested in participating in this circus of hypocrisy and radicalization” - Nadal clarified. The US Open and Rafael Nadal fans were shocked when the Spaniard announced that he won’t be defending his title at the US Open. And interestingly so the US Open will be the first Grand Slam since 1999 to not have either Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal. Nadal also explained his decision to pull out of the US Open. “My heart says today is not the moment to take long travels without knowing exactly what can and cannot happen. My decision is to stay at home in Mallorca where the situation is good, it looks under control here, and to wait for future opportunities.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2QAZQQe

No comments