Breaking News

2020 US Open: Tsetvana Pironkova moves on; youngsters Sofia Kenin, Anisimova prevail

Garbine Muguruza was the biggest seed ousted in Thursday’s day session at the 2020 US Open. Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova, continuing on in her comeback, upset the Spanish 10th seed 7-5, 6-3 in an hour and 24 minutes.

Muguruza looked comfortable while starting the match and even went up a break in the first game of the opening set. However, with Pironkova settling into her rhythm as the set – and match – progressed, Muguruza’s tactics did not yield dominant results as before.

After the match Pironkova, who used her protective ranking to enter the event, shared, “Coming here [to make the US Open] my first tournament was a bit risky. But at the same time, I was really excited and very motivated to play well on this big stage. And I think that motivation kept me pushing…I’m not gonna hide, I didn’t expect in my first tournament to play so well. But it’s welcome! That is what I came back for k – for these matches.”

Pironkova will play the 18th-seeded Donna Vekic in the third round. The Croatian beat Romania’s Patricia Maria Tig 6-2, 6-1 in their round-of-64 encounter.

Earlier, 22nd seed Amanda Anisimova survived 16-year-old compatriot and wildcard holder Katrina Scott’s versatile play to advance to the third round. In the clash of the teenagers, the 19-year-old won 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 four minutes short of the two-hour mark.

Anisimova fell behind by a break early on in the opening set. She did break back Scott while the latter served for the set but her inability to consolidate the break back helped Scott take the lead in the match. The second set was played more measuredly by Anisimova even as Scott’s erroneousness shot up on the other side of the net followed by the third set in which Scott’s game and her confidence were both waylaid.

The American will take on 15th seed Maria Sakkari of Greece in the next round. Sakkari, too, played a three-setter against Anisimova’s compatriot Bernarda Pera, winning 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.

2020 US Open: Second seed Sofia Kenin's dominant win

Second seed Sofia Kenin had an easier path into the third round. The 21-year-old American posted a straightforward 6-4, 6-3 win over her 17-year-old rival from Canada, Leylah Fernandez. Across both sets, Kenin captured early service breaks while holding her own in an untroubled manner.

Post-match, speaking with the press, Kenin said, “I feel much more settled. I feel like I found a groove. I'm playing well in those two matches. I'm really focused on every shot. Obviously, I wasn't feeling great leading up to this event. I'm just trying to focus a bit more. It's helping me. I'm playing some really good tennis. Serving really well these past two matches. I'm just really happy.”

Kenin will play Tunisian 27th seed Ons Jabeur in the round-of-32 at the 2020 US Open. Jabeur, who has been in excellent form since tennis made its return, beat Estonian Kaia Kanepi 7-6(8), 6-0 in the second round.

Photo Credit: Carmen Mandato/USTA



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2QX7NiQ

No comments