Breaking News

Novak Djokovic speaks highly of Kyle Edmund ahead of US Open clash

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic says the intensity was there in his US Open first round clash even though there was no crowd in the stands. 

The top-seeded Serb kicked off his US Open campaign with a straight-set win Over Bosnian Damir Dzumhur 6-1 6-4 6-1. 

"Well, the intensity, it was there definitely. I mean, I came out, played really well the first set. Second set I lost my focus, kind of got stressed out a couple times, screamed (smiling). That's obviously still there, regardless of the empty stadium. But this is what I bring to the court. I bring a lot of intensity, energy. Sometimes my reactions may not be so positive, but I try to bounce back," Djokovic said.

"It was tough. I mean, second set, there was a lot of long rallies, and he wasn't missing much so it was kind of anybody's game."

Djokovic admitted being able to see his friends and family helped him.

"We're all trying to get used to these kind of circumstances, having big LED screens on the side, kind of behind the court. Obviously seeing the rest of my team and my family and my friends on the screen tonight was a delight. Truly it was really, really nice. It brought a smile to my face, kind of motivated me to keep on playing well," Djokovic added.

Djokovic not taking Kyle Edmund for granted 

Edmund recovered from a set down to beat Alexander Bublik in the US Open first round. 

Djokovic leads the head-to-head against Edmund 5-1.

"He does have a really good serve and forehand, two really big weapons. I had some really good matches against him in the past, Wimbledon, tough four-setter a few years ago. He doesn't feel so much pressure I think playing on the big court. He actually likes the challenge. I have a lot of respect for him. He's a really hard worker, puts a lot of hours on and off the court into perfecting his game," Djokovic said of Edmund.

"His results were kind of up and down a little bit, but I think he does have the game and the potential to be in the top 20 without a doubt, where I expect him to be soon. So it's going to be a tough one.

"I'm sure he has not so much to lose in that match. It's important for me to start off well, the way I did today."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2GoZ5Ix

No comments