Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'This situation gave me the impetus to be successful'

This strange year will also mark the record of the first Grand Slam without one of the legendary Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in the main draw, since 1999. At the time, the Swiss champion lost - eighteen - in the second round of qualifying against his compatriot Heuberger (7-6 6-2) and the Maciste of the red earth, who today does not feel like traveling to America at the time of the Coronavirus, was still far from debut among the pros of 2001 and from that of the Slams of 2003. In a video with Credit Suisse, the Swiss tennis player spoke about rumors about his retirement.

Federer on the beginning of his career

“They ask me a lot about my retirement, and I know that I can't play tennis forever, it's really nice to be able to do something well in life. It's something fantastic at this point in my career,“ said the Swiss Maestro. In this interview, Roger Federer also reviewed the keys that have led him to success: “The important thing is not my ability or my technique on the court. The important thing is my mentality, my purposes and the people who have surrounded me and who have played a very important role in my successes. You need the ability to be comfortable with failure and learn from it. It happened to me in 2001 and I wondered if I had missed the opportunity when I came back two years later and won my first Grand Slam at Wimbledon. That showed me how important a positive mindset is. It all started very early, when I was 11 years old, when I decided to dedicate myself to tennis and I fulfilled my purpose when I was 14 years old. If I could go back and talk to my self from that time, I would tell him that loneliness and isolation are worth it. But this situation gave me the impetus to be successful. Sometimes these first steps are uncomfortable and having the confidence to do it is important for success, although you will also have to face ups and downs" - the 20-time Grand Slam champion finished. Federer, who earlier this year called for tennis to merge its men's and women's governing bodies, agreed that it is time "to stand united as players, and as a sport," while three-time grand slam champion Andy Murray questioned the absence of female players in the new association.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2ELKPsz

No comments