Breaking News

Lorenzo Sonego on destroying Novak Djokovic: It's unbelievable, amazing

World No. 42 Lorenzo Sonego appeared to be a bit shocked after stunning 17-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic in the Vienna quarterfinal.

Sonego, who was beaten in the Vienna qualifying final round and entered the tournament as a lucky loser, demolished world No. 1 Djokovic 6-2 6-1. 

"For sure it's the best victory of my life. Novak is the best in the world. Today I played so, so good," Sonego said in his on-court interview, per the ATP website. "It's unbelievable. It's amazing."

Right from the start, Sonego was dictating everything as he took an early 4-0 first-set lead. 

Sonego didn't face a single break point in the first set as he routinely served out for the opener in the eighth game.

In the second set, Sonego claimed three breaks and saved a total of six break points to get the job done in two sets. 

Sonego thrilled with his performance against Djokovic 

"I played the best match in my life," Sonego underlined. "I'm so happy for this."

Meanwhile, former world No. 5 Kevin Anderson shocked No. 4 seed Daniil Medvedev 6-4 7-6 (5) to reach the Vienna semifinal. 

"I am very, very pleased. I have waited a long time to play a match like this. It was very high quality and I knew I had to play very well against Daniil to get through,” said Anderson in an on-court interview.

In 2018, Anderson made it all the way in Vienna after handing a straight-set defeat to Japanese Kei Nishikori in the final. 

This Saturday, Anderson faces No. 5 seed Andrey Rublev in the Vienna semifinal.

"I love playing here,” said Anderson. “I have good memories from playing a couple of years ago. I was very disappointed not to be able to come back last year, but I am happy to be back here playing great tennis and I am really looking forward to my match tomorrow.”

Anderson broke Medvedev in the opening game of the match and then held on to his serve for the rest of the set to win the opener.

"Right from the beginning, I felt very good about my game and obviously [I knew] it was going to be tough,” said Anderson. “I couldn’t be happier right now to be through to the semi-finals. Obviously the job is not done. but I just want to take a moment to appreciate the work that has gone in for me to play a match like this.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HNDVUY

No comments