Breaking News

Stefanos Tsitsipas aims to end season on high note

Greek tennis star Stefanos Tsitsipas is hoping to have a positive end to the season and win at least one more title. 

Tsitsipas, who is enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 5 in the world, is set to compete at this week's star-studded Vienna tournament. 

Tsitsipas, seeded at No. 3, was drawn to meet German Jan-Lennard Struff in the first round. 

"I would like a title, [and] to play good tennis. I’m happy when I see myself play good tennis," Tsitsipas said of his goals for the last part of the season, per Max Gao.

Tsitsipas, who has clinched a spot for this year's Nitto ATP Finals, says he is currently not thinking about the season-ending event.

Tsitsipas made it all the way at The O2 Arena last year after edging out Dominic Thiem in a thriller final.

"Right now, I’m not thinking about the ATP Finals. I’m focusing [on] this week & then next week in Bercy. I feel like these are tournaments that I can do better [at] this year & have a better version of Stefanos on the court, so I’m glad that I’m here," Tsitsipas claimed.

When asked how did he cope with the extended break due to the coronavirus, Tsitsipas said: "Lots of ice cream, lots of meditation and lots of practice as well."

Tsitsipas coming off a positive French Open campaign 

Tsitsipas made his maiden French Open semifinal before falling short in five sets to world No. 1 Novak Djokovic. 

Tsitsipas suffered an edema injury against Djokovic and he is now set to return to action.

"Hey, everyone. I just wanted to say a big thank you to all my fans worldwide who supported my Roland Garros journey over the past couple of weeks. My time in Paris was very positive, and I gave it my all out there in the semi-final against Novak," Tsitsipas said in a social media post after his French Open exit.

"Unfortunately, I've had a minor injury in my leg, but I've had an MRI and examined it thoroughly. Following my doctor's feedback, I decided to withdraw from St. Petersburg, take a week off and prepare for Vienna. I look forward to playing there, in Paris and London, as I just found out I qualified for the ATP Finals, feeling pumped about a chance of defending the title there.

"I hope you all continue to stay safe in these unusual times, and hopefully, we get back to life as we knew it soon."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/35BvhRM

No comments