Breaking News

Alexander Zverev: Against Rafael Nadal you have to play very smart

Top-ranked German tennis player Alexander Zverev hopes he will be fully ready for his Paris Masters semifinal clash against world No. 2 Rafael Nadal after suffering a possible groin injury during his quarterfinal clash.

Zverev, seeded at No. 4, defeated three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka in straight sets 6-3 7-6 (1) to set up a big semifinal clash at Bercy against No. 1 seed Nadal. 

Zverev appeared to be hampered a bit by his groin against Zverev but still he claimed a straight-set win.

"It‘s a little bit like the injury I had against Mannarino in Cologne. I hope it is nothing too serious. I think it will be fine to play against Nadal tomorrow," Zverev said after the match when asked about his possible groin injury, per Nikolaus Fink.

Zverev was through to his maiden semifinal at the Paris Masters.

"I had one bad game all match. Happy to be in the semifinals for the first. I never feel well here in past. Maybe because I was tired from the season. It's different this time," Zverev said, per Jose Morgado.

Zverev aims to play 'smart' against Nadal

Nadal owns a 5-1 head-to-head record against Zverev but the German won their last meeting at the Nitto ATP Finals last year.

"Against Nadal you have to play very smart. Maybe the best defender in our game. I'm not telling you the tactics," Zverev underlined.

Meanwhile, former world No. 3 Wawrinka was happy with his campaign in Paris though he failed to beat Zverev.

Wawrinka had a great chance to force a decider but he failed to serve out for the second set in the 10th game though he was 30-0 up.

"That was a positive week for me, for my tennis, for my level. I played high level matches at the Paris Masters and that was what I needed," Wawrinka said after the match, per Tennis Majors.

Wawrinka then offered a high praise for Zverev.

"Alexander Zverev plays at the highest level for a long time. For me he is the best from the new generation. The most complete," Wawrinka claimed.

Zverev continued his dominance against Wawrinka as he now owns a 4-0 head-to-head record against the Swiss.

"I never beat Alexander Zverev. So maybe that he is more confident than usual, anyway it doesn't change that much for me. I can't find the solutions even when I'm closed." Wawrinka acknowledged.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2U2IGgc

No comments