Breaking News

Stan Wawrinka hasn't talked yet with Roger Federer about Tokyo Olympics

Swiss tennis star Stan Wawrinka, 35, says he is still motivated to achieve success and win big titles as he is determined to make one last push before he walks away from professional tennis. 

Wawrinka, ranked at No. 20 in the world, kicked off his campaign at the Paris Masters with a straight-set win over Great Britain's Dan Evans 6-3 7-6 (3). 

"I'm close to the end of my career, but I also believe I have one last push that I really want to, again, one more time push myself to the limit, make the sacrifice that you need to make to be at my top, and I'm trying to do that," Wawrinka said after beating Evans at Bercy, per Tennis Majors.

Wawrinka saved two consecutive break points in the third game of the match, before breaking Evans a game later for a 3-1 lead.

The Swiss missed out on a set point in the eighth game of the first set but had no problems serving out for the opener in the following game. 

No breaks were seen in the second set as Wawrinka came up big in the second set tie-break to earn a straight-set win.

"I think in general I'm playing well. I'm feeling good. But not yet at the maximum I feel, and I'm going to take the next few weeks to try to push it for next year," Wawrinka added.

Wawrinka hasn't talked with Roger Federer about the Olympics 

Wawrinka and Federer won the gold medal in doubles for Switzerland at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. 

The Tokyo Olympics were rescheduled for next year and Wawrinka says he will talk about it with Federer when time comes.

"I think this is far away [...], not only in the tennis schedule but with what's happening in the world right now," Wawrinka noted, per Nikolaus Fink.

At the French Open, Wawrinka suffered a shock third round loss against French Hugo Gaston.

Wawrinka, the 2015 French Open champion, later congratulated Rafael Nadal on winning a record 13th title at Roland Garros.

"What [Rafael Nadal] is achieving so far in the French Open is one of the greatest achievements of any sports probably, winning 13 time [the] French Open," Wawrinka said.

"The way he is doing it, it's something amazing. I had the chance to play him there [twice] at the French Open, always got killed, so I know how difficult it is to play him there."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/38cU41k

No comments