Breaking News

'What Roger Federer is doing is inexplicable', says Top 10

2020 was not easy to manage for Roger Federer, who only played in the Australian Open before having twice surgery on his right knee. The Swiss phenomenon made it to South Africa for the charity exhibition with his friend and rival Rafael Nadal, setting a new spectator record for a tennis match. The former world number 1 has resumed training on the pitch for about a month, hoping to be ready for the Australian Open in January 2021. Many have wondered if 2021 will be the last season of his glorious career. but Federer himself was keen to point out that no decision was made (other than renewing his passion for tennis). The 39-year-old from Basel continues to be the most popular and admired player around the world, also garnering praise from many colleagues. The last in order of time to congratulate King Roger was Diego Schwartzman, author of an excellent second half of 2020 embellished by entering the Top 10 thanks to the semifinal at Roland Garros.

Schwartzman on Roger Federer

"In tennis, what Roger Federer is doing is inexplicable," said Diego Schwartzman. "He does almost all of his shots with the same grip. He says that, like Messi in football, sometimes he would rather have fewer options on hand, have one or two and not 10 as is often the case. Technically, it's natural, efficient and more spectacular, it's difficult to do better." The Argentine then went on to speak about his relationship with Roger Federer off the court, and how he treats the 20-time Grand Slam champion as one of his best friends. "I treat Roger as if he were my best friend," said Schwartzman. "We talk to each other a lot, on all subjects and whenever I can tease him, I do. He has a sponsor pasta brand and I screw with him on that. I tell him when he will cook pasta for me. We're usually having a lot of fun." Schwartzman reached the final in Cologne 2 by losing to Alexander Zverev, but he proved to be comfortable on indoor hard courts as well. Federer is aiming to be back for the Australian Open in 2021, meaning it will have been a full year on the shelf for the 39-year-old but he has been encouraged by what he has seen so far in practice. “I’m very well; I am healthy and accompanied by my family in this long year,” Roger Federer said, as quoted by the Swiss press. “It has been a long process, a great experience where I feel that I’m improving little by little. Perhaps I do not feel the improvement every day, but I do from week to week."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/386hFAL

No comments