Breaking News

2020 in Review: Novak Djokovic earns first default after hitting lineswoman!

Novak Djokovic got defaulted for the first time in a career against Pablo Carreno Busta in the US Open fourth round! The three-time champion and world no. 1 had the opening set in his hands, serving well and creating four break chances in games eight and ten. Pablo fended off three set points at 4-5, gathered momentum and stole Novak's serve in game 11 to move 6-5 in front. Angry at himself, Novak accidentally slammed the ball into the lineswoman, knocked her on the floor and left the tournament. Novak had won all previous 26 matches in 2020, seeking the 18th Major title in New York but spoiling all that with one careless hit that could change the GOAT race. Even though there were no intentions from the Serb, the officials had to default him for the first time in a career, leaving the door open for the other players left in the draw and making sure we will get the new Major champion.

Novak competed on a very high level in the opening nine games, delivering one good hold after another and creating a break chance in the eighth game. Carreno Busta saved it to remain in touch, facing even bigger troubles behind the initial shot at 4-5. Djokovic had three set points up for grabs at 40-0, losing the next five points and slamming the ball in anger.

Novak Djokovic experienced the first career default in New York.

The momentum had switched to the Spaniard's side, who opened a 30-0 lead in the 11th game, with Djokovic taking a medical timeout for the left should injury following a nasty fall. Carreno Busta broke Djokovic at 15 to forge a 6-5 advantage before Novak sent that ball that had cost him a chance of fighting for the 18th Major crown, hitting the lineswoman and leaving the court after a couple of minutes spent in conversation with the officials. 

"This whole situation has left me sad and empty. I checked on the linesperson, and the tournament told me that, thank God, she is feeling ok. I'm extremely sorry to have caused her such stress; so unintended and wrong. I'm not disclosing her name to respect her privacy. As for the disqualification, I need to go back within and work on my disappointment and turn this into a lesson for my growth and evolution as a player and human being. I apologize to the US Open and everyone associated with my behavior. I'm very grateful to my team and family for being my rock support and my fans for always being there with me. Thank you, and I'm sorry," Novak Djokovic said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3n09pX3

No comments