Breaking News

Grigor Dimitrov: "After the Adria Tour I shouldn't have..."

Grigor Dimitrov tried to think on what could have been after he played the Adria Tour. He won in two sets against Ugo Humbert, one of the most promising young players on the circuit, in the first round of the Masters 1000 in Cincinnati on 23 August. The Bulgarian had tested positive for Coronavirus after leaving Serbia and competing in the Adria Tour, but unlike many of the players affected by the virus, he had to deal with the toughest symptoms related to the disease.

The Adria Tour was an event organized by Novak Djokovic to launch the restart of tennis and which, unfortunately, ended up in the eye of the storm for many reasons. The Serbian government was not far-sighted and allowed the public to watch the numerous matches without particular restrictions.

Grigor Dimitrov and the effects of the Coronavirus on his body

About five months after the heavy situation he had to go through, Dimitrov returned to talk about his problems and the effects that the virus still causes on his body and physical abilities today.

"Maybe I shouldn't have played in the United States, even if I wanted to prove myself," the Bulgarian said in an interview with the BBC. "I wanted to know what state my body was in. It always seemed to me that I was taking two steps forward but perhaps also one step back.

Now I feel much better, I don't take so many naps and things like that anymore. There are some things I do and I think: 'It's not the same anymore, friend'. Okay, I accept and understand but I don't know how things will evolve.

I just hope I don't get the Coronavirus again. Adria Tour and Novak Djokovic? As a player I could have stayed at home without saying a word, right? But I said to myself: 'No, it's not the right thing to do'. There were a lot of children at that event and I was afraid that some of them might have previous pathologies. Could I have looked in the mirror if I hadn't said anything? No."

Dimitrov's tennis 2020 ended in Vienna on October 30 with a three-set defeat against Daniel Evans. The Bulgarian will return to the field, in all likelihood, in Australia.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3g7QibK

No comments