Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Let’s hope it all gets better next year. I can't wait to see...'

The last official match played by Roger Federer dates back to the semi-final of the Australian Open 2020, when he surrendered in three sets to the future winner Novak Djokovic. The former world number 1 then went to South Africa for a charity exhibition with Rafael Nadal, thus establishing a new audience record for a tennis match. Hardly anyone could have imagined that the Swiss phenomenon would undergo two operations on his right knee, closing his season very early. After initially designating the Australian Open 2021 as the ideal location for his return to the field, the 39-year-old from Basel recently admitted that his presence in Melbourne Park is far from certain. Strict protocols from the Australian government prompted the organizers to move the Happy Slam to February so that players can perform the two-week mandatory quarantine. Federer, who received the ATP Fans Favorite Award for the 18th time in a row, took the opportunity to take stock of his condition.

Federer is hopeful that he will return very soon

“Hey, it’s Roger Federer here. I hope everybody is doing well in a difficult year,” he said. “I just wanted to thank you all for winning the Fans’ Favorite Award this year again. Thanks to ATP, to all the tennis fans out there voting for me, believing in me, and wanting to see me back on the tour. I’m training hard, making that possible and I hope I can play in front of all you guys very, very soon and happy holidays to everybody. Happy New Year and let’s hope it all gets better next year. I can’t wait to see you all again very soon. So take care, and again, thank you, thank you, so so much, I’ll see you soon.” The 20-time Grand Slam champion claimed how proud he felt of his daughters for playing the instrument beautifully. On the contrary, Federer revealed not practicing the piano regularly but expressed his desire to play the instrument once he retired. “I would like to play an instrument again. Hopefully when I stop playing tennis I’ll have time. I used to play the piano. But of course I was more likely to play football, tennis or basketball. Every week in piano lesson I had to explain why I hadn’t practiced any more and said: “That’s tennis.” Then it was said: “Well, Roger, let’s just try this song again.” I think it’s nice that the girls play, they do it pretty well, I’m proud of them.” said Federer.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JiZZrC

No comments