Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'My heroes played Wilson as in Sampras and Edberg'

Roger Federer's return to the field is now very short. The Swiss, due to two operations on his right knee and the cancellation of a large part of the calendar due to the Covid-19 pandemic, only played this year in the Australian Open in Melbourne, where he was defeated in the semifinals by Novak Djokovic. Millions of fans from all over the world are anxiously awaiting his return, wondering if he will once again be able to repeat an exploit like that of 2017. The season will be even more interesting given the presence in the programming of the Tokyo Games, postponed by twelve months from 2020. Recently, the Swiss spoke of the factors that made him believe in Wilson. 

Federer on his partnership with Wilson

Roger Federer revealed, “I’d say that Wilson is very strong and grassroots you know. As a junior you’re not really aware of it, all I remember is that a lot of my friends all played Wilson. My heroes played Wilson as in Sampras and Edberg and that’s the racket I wanted to play with, you know, a Wilson racket.” The 20-time Grand Slam champion felt touched by the manner in which the people at Wilson helped him. He further stated, “When I got to know them, even at a junior level, they were all very you know supportive and helpful. When it came to a grip here or a string there or whatever it is. I just felt like the local people at Wilson were really well equipped already to help a young player to feel special you know.” He elaborated and said, “We were happy with any support we could get. Like getting a free racket or something that was very helpful already at a young age. I think we’ve always had a wonderful relationship with one another. We never had any issues ever and you know I don’t see myself ever-changing. I remember where I come from, where they’ve been with me all along the way and this is more than just a business agreement in my eyes.” After the touchdown, players and their coaching staff will have to quarantine for two weeks, but won’t be allowed to reside in private homes. Due to strict health protocols, the authorities have made it mandatory for the players to stay in official hotels to ensure they remain in the bio-secure bubble. Understanding the importance of training in tandem with safety, the local government will permit players to train but within a duration limit. Each player will be allowed to practice two hours on the court, two hours in the gym, and one hour of lunch in the tournament restaurant. Although the restrictions will be gradually eased once players give out negative test results.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/33ScMsh

No comments