Breaking News

Diego Schwartzman reacts to blowing big lead against Aslan Karatsev

Top-ranked Argentine tennis player Diego Schwartzman wasn't particularly happy with the way he performed after he took a comfortable lead against rising Russian Aslan Karatsev at the Madrid Masters.

Schwartzman, seeded at No. 7, was up 6-2 2-0 before Karatsev created a stunning comeback to win 2-6 6-4 6-1. 

"I'm not sure if I changed something," said Schwartzman. "I think he changed. He was missing almost every single shot. After [I was up] 6-2, 2-0, he started to hit too many winners, too many aces... It was very difficult for me. Halfway through the second set he was playing very hard, very close to the lines, serving too many first serves. I had no chance after that."

Karatsev bounced back in style against Schwartzman 

Schwartzman broke Karatsev in the opening game of the match and claimed his second break in the seventh game, before serving out for the opener in the following game.

Schwartzman then started the second set with a 2-0 lead but Karatsev responded with two quick breaks to force a decider.

After losing the second set, Schwartzman's game fell apart as Karatsev claimed back-to-back breaks to win the opening five games of the decider. 

Karatsev's run of seven consecutive games was ended in the sixth game of the third set but it was too late for Schwartzman as the Russian served out for the match in the seventh game. 

Schwartzman previously lost in the Monte Carlo Masters second round and also made the quarterfinal at the Barcelona Open.

Schwartzman is hoping to play better at the Rome Masters and Lyon.

"It's clear that I'm not playing my best tennis, I can't find the rhythm. On top of that, I'm not having any luck with the draws; Going early and having Karatsev play me, one of the best of the year, doesn't help me at all. I hope to do better in Rome and Lyon," Schwartzman added.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3o3dkVb

No comments