Breaking News

Dominic Thiem 'satisfied' after Alex de Minaur win

Austrian tennis star Dominic Thiem was extremely satisfied with the way his Madrid Masters round-of-16 clash against Alex de Minaur went. 

Thiem, seeded at No. 3, overcame de Minaur in two sets 7-5 (7) 6-4 to reach the Madrid Masters quarterfinal.

De Minaur made a perfect start to the match, having broken Thiem in the opening game of the match. 

Thiem failed to convert any of his three break points in the second game but broke back de Minaur in the sixth game to eventually force a tie-break.

In the tie-break, Thiem was down 3-0 and later faced a set point but recovered to steal the opening set. 

Thiem blew an early second set as de Minaur broke back in the sixth game to level the set at three games apiece.

But Thiem claimed another break in the second game and this time held on to his serve to seal the win. 

"There were many long rallies, [which is] exactly what I need right now,” Thiem said in his post-match interview, per the ATP website. “I am very, very happy again with my performance… It was nice. I love the conditions, the court and the tournament.”

Thiem playing his first clay tournament in 2021

"I feel way better than expected. In some points and some rallies, I still feel the lack of matches,” Thiem said. “I am a little bit more out of breath, I am a little bit too tight in some shots and some strokes. 

“Everything has to be a little more relaxed again to be in the match mode. I lost a little bit of intensity after winning that close first set. I have to get back in a rhythm, but the more matches I play against these top guys, the quicker I will get back in the match rhythm I need.”

Thiem plays next against either Andrey Rublev or John Isner.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/33m3N1L

No comments