Breaking News

Roger Federer as a Major champion - 'I'm much more relaxes after winning Wimbledon'

Roger Federer claimed his first Major title at Wimbledon 2003, dominating over the rest of the field and dropping one set in seven encounters to join the tennis immortals. Missing a chance to become world no. 1 in Montreal and Cincinnati, Roger headed to the US Open as one of the favorites, seeking the second consecutive Major crown and his first notable result in New York. After beating Jose Acasuso and Jean-Rene Lisnard, Federer faced James Blake in the third round and toppled the American 6-3, 7-6, 6-3 in two hours to find himself in the last 16.

The Swiss fended off three out of four break chances and created no less than 23 opportunities on the return, converting only three but doing enough to seal the deal in straight sets. The first break came in the eighth game of the opener when James sent a backhand wide, allowing Roger to close the set with a forehand winner a few minutes later. Federer led 5-3 in set number two before Blake broke back to extend the battle. Still, Roger had the upper hand in the tie break, winning it 7-4 and sealing the deal with another return game in set number three to arrange the meeting with David Nalbandian.

Roger Federer reached the last 16 at the US Open 2003, seeking the second Major title.

"I don't know how many break chances I missed. I know I had many of those, especially in the second set. In the past, there were probably some matches with a similar number of wasted break chances; that happens. When you miss the first couple of opportunities, the rival starts to serve better, and it becomes tougher to steal his serve. I always felt in control in set number two, having the advantage before James climbed back to reach a tie break. We didn't have the rhythm in the opening set, with many fast points. I didn't feel good, especially at the beginning, struggling to find the grip in the cold night session.

It took us a while, and I started playing better at the end of the set, scoring a break and closing it. The second set was excellent, from both of us, and I'm happy with my overall performance. My next rival is David Nalbandian, and I don't have a great record against him. I'm positive ahead of our upcoming clash; it's time for me to beat him after being close a couple of times. I'm ready to fight. I'm happy with my return tonight while I still have ups and downs on serve. Still, it is so far so good for me; we will see. I'm much more relaxed after winning Wimbledon," Roger Federer said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3txPDW8

No comments