Breaking News

Alexander Zverev keeps it respectful toward Andrey Rublev after Cincinnati final win

Germany's Alexander Zverev has noted that he will be entering the US Open in great spirits after winning the Cincinnati Masters.

Zverev, seeded at No. 3, saw off No. 4 seed Rublev 6-2 6-3 to capture the Cincinnati title. 

Zverev arrived to this year's Cincinnati Masters with a previous 0-6 record at the tournament. 

"The first win I ever had on these courts was on Wednesday, four days ago, and now I have my first title here,” Zverev said in his on-court interview, per the ATP website. “It has been an incredible week, a lot of great matches. It is an incredible feeling going into the US Open."

Zverev kept it respectful toward Rublev 

After preventing Rublev from winning his maiden Masters title, Zverev didn't want to celebrate too much. 

Zverev started the match with back-to-back breaks and served out for the opener in the ninth game. 

In the second set, Zverev lost his serve once but claimed three breaks to book a comfortable straight-set win. 

"I was playing pretty good tennis,” Zverev added. “I did not do a big celebration because I know how Andrey feels as well because we have been best friends since we were 11 years old and I know he is seeking his first Masters 1000 win, but it is going to come very soon I think.

“I don’t want to get ahead of myself yet. I won the gold medal and just won a Masters, which I am very happy about and am looking forward to New York.”

Rublev was disappointed that he didn't end up with his maiden Masters title but he gave credit to Zverev for the performance he delivered.

"I am grateful for the week that I had. I reached another final, my second [Masters 1000] in my career,” Rublev said. “It is a special place for me with great memories, the final didn’t end my way, but Alexander was playing unbelievably today.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3ydqimn

No comments