Breaking News

Dealing with expectations is not easy, says Serena Williams

Serena Williams always gets the ultimate expectations on her and the American tries to deal with them as best as possible. 'It's definitely not easy', Serena admitted. 'It definitely takes its toll on you when you're a favourite, no matter what you're ranked. Even when I came back after the whole situation, I think it was in 2011, I was still a favourite to win the Open. I got to the final. But who would have thought after all that I would still be a favourite? Yeah, it's okay. Like, I always lean on Billie Jean King's words when she says that pressure is a privilege. I'd much rather have people look at me that way than any other way.'

Serena was also asked if the United States can have great champions like in 1970 and 1980: 'Well, the '70s and '80s sounds like a great theme party (laughter). But I don't know. I think women's tennis is doing really well on the American side. Yeah, suggestions? It's kind of hard. You have to pour a lot of money into players. It's very difficult on the men because there are so many other American sports that men want to do, that you can be so successful in. Then you have tennis, which is definitely more an international sport. I don't know. It's really interesting. But I think the state of women's tennis right now for the U.S. is really excellent and I'm really excited about it. So many great players.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2E5TDH0

No comments