Breaking News

Gap from Zverev or Thiem was not big, says Matteo Berrettini

Speaking to the Italian tennis federation, Matteo Berrettini commented on how his season and year went. The 22-year-old won his maiden ATP title at the Gstaad Open defeating Roberto Bautista Agut in a straight-set final. 'Now I know that in all matches I can compete, even with higher ranked players,' Berrettini said. 'Even when I have faced top players of Sascha Zverev or Thiem's caliber, I lost but at least in some parts of the match I realised that I was able to be there and the distance was not big. It's about having an important awareness about the future: I know that in order to play with the stronger players I have to be more consistent at a high level. And that's what we are working on.'

Commenting on his pre-season plans, Berrettini said he started practicing in early November: 'After Moscow, I rested for a couple of weeks, also because I had a little leg injury and I was tired after a long and intense season. We had to have the time to work well physically, which is the key to prevent injuries. But even from the technical point of view we are focusing on the backhand and the serve, which can become an even more efficient weapon. We are focusing on movement, so that we are able to handle game time and so lead the rally.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2PEEfnc

No comments