Breaking News

I was more ambitious thanks to Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Djokovic: Ferrer

In an interview to Spanish media, the 36-year-old David Ferrer commented on how it felt like to play in the same era as Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. 'I try to see it in the best way. Thanks to them I was more ambitious. I was the world no. 3, I won three Davis Cups, which would have been tougher without Rafa. I evolved thanks to them and I take what's good. Thanks to them I was a better player,' said Ferrer.

Commenting on his upcoming retirement from tennis, Ferrer added: 'Results have not been how I wanted for a year-and-a-half. In the last year, I have been a father, but I struggled more. But it has still been good for the Davis Cup quarter in Valencia and for the birth of my child. On a personal level I am very happy and I think it was the time to decide to leave.'

Ferrer will play Hopman Cup, Auckland, Buenos Aires, Acapulco, Barcelona and Madrid in 2019. 'They are the six tournaments that make me have good memories, the ones I liked to play. I never played the Hopman Cup. They invited me once and I could not be there due to a calendar issue. I knew that it would be my last chance to play there. In Auckland I won four times, in Buenos Aires three and in Acapulco four. And I will end my career playing at the Conde de Godò and then in Madrid. I felt very loved in these tournaments. For me it was important to end in Barcelona and Madrid.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2LqujNS

No comments