Breaking News

Maria Sharapova opens up on shoulder injury: 'It's been a long recovery'

The Shenzhen Open will mark Maria Sharapova's comeback to the competition for the first time since September at the US Open where she lost to Carla Suarez Navarro in the fourth round. Speaking in Shenzhen, Sharapova said: “I’m really excited to be back and competing in a tournament. It’s been a long recovery from the shoulder injury. Maybe for the first few matches, I won’t feel great and I will need to improve with every match I play. But just to be back here in a competitive atmosphere and doing an interview again, I feel it really gets the juices flowing. You know you are here for a reason and that is to compete and try to be the champion again.'

Sharapova lost to Katerina Siniakova in last year's semifinals in Shenzhen and she hopes to go far this year as well: “As I played here for the first time last year, I saw this huge building just behind the stadium going up and wondered what it was because I noticed the star and connected it back to the university in Moscow. It turned out to be this incredible joint venture university and I am very proud to be here with the students today. I haven’t been inside but from this perspective, it looks very beautiful and feels like an iconic building. What it represents inside is most important, which is the literature, the culture and the education that so many students around the world strive for."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2s0gDjs

No comments