Breaking News

Maximilian Marterer: 'I was tense before facing Rafael Nadal in Paris'

In an interview to Tennisnet, Maximilian Marterer recalled his great French Open run that ended just in the fourth round against the eventual champion Rafael Nadal in straight sets. Marterer said: 'For me, Paris was a combination of many things: against Denis Shapovalov who is a young and big talented player. Then in the third round I suddenly became the favorite against Jurgen Zopp, and then I was clearly the surprising outsider against Nadal. Of course I was tense before the match against Rafa because I had never played with guys like this.'

On his improvements, Marterer added: 'I did big physical signs of progress. I became fitter. And going through the last season without injuries was important. Because I played many matches.'

On his next plans, Marterer said: 'I will start in Doha, then I will play in Auckland, I have two warm-up tournaments. Doha is also relaxed because you split the trip.'

The German player finally concluded speaking about the Davis Cup. He hopes to be picked by the captain Mikhail Kohlmann for the home tie against Hungary on February 1 and 2. It will be the qualifying stage, and the world No. 4 Alexander Zverev is committed to play. 'For me, it would be a big dream to play a Davis Cup single. Next year it will be a different format. If there is the opportunity to play for my country, I obviously do it.'

Nadal will start the new ATP season in Brisbane.

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2LEMoHS

No comments