Breaking News

Roger Federer surprised by Radwanska's retirement: I had to check twice

In an interview to Sport OweFakty, Roger Federer commented on Agnieszka Radwanska's retirement from tennis. The former world no. 2 had thought about it for a while as she dealt with injuries for a very long time, but Federer was still surprised. 'When I saw that message I checked once, twice, and then it was true. Agnieszka is relatively young, but I know that she had a lot of health issues and it strongly influenced her game. It's a courageous decision and you need to respect it,' said the 37-year-old Swiss. 'Agnieszka perfectly understood her opponents' desires, she was able to play in an amazing way. I think we have similar gamestyles, sometimes her tennis remembered me the one I played on court myself.'

Meanwhile Radwanska commented on the many messages she got from tennis players like Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Federer: 'I didn’t expect this huge reaction. The reality of the situation actually hit me at this point. I was never number one, never won Wimbledon, yet I must have done something good in order for so many famous names to remember me.'

Radwanska was also asked if she may comeback to compete in the future: 'Life has taught me ‘never say never’ but for me this is the end. I arrived at an obstacle which I could no longer get through. I now need a minimum year or two in order to recover and rest.'

What about 2020 Tokyo? 'You go to the Olympics for a chance at a medal. You need at least the faintest of hopes that you can get a medal. I never stood on the podium even though I realistically thought I could do it. I don’t have that hope anymore.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GIMcIT

No comments