Breaking News

Serena Williams explains why she and Venus did not play junior tournaments

Serena Williams explained why she and her sister Venus played no junior tournaments at the beginning of their career. That rarely happens nowadays. 'I think everyone has to do different things', said Serena. 'Also it's a lot of factors. My dad was a great coach and he's just such a great thinker. He just had this whole vision. So what I'm saying is like if you don't play juniors it's hard for people to see you and get sponsorship, and tennis can be expensive. For some people, I think it's smart to play juniors. People can see your level and in you can have some help in terms of travelling and getting coaches and things of that nature. But fortunately enough, we were able to manage.'

Serena also spoke about how her tennis looked like at the start of her career: 'I just remember playing like Steffi; Monica was amazing to play. But I was never 15. I never played that well at 15 to play the professionals, so I think I was at school. I wasn't good enough.'

'It's nice. It's different. I was watching Martina Navratilova in the ceremony at Wimbledon and Chris Evert, sitting by each other, and to see the relationship, it was really cool to see how they were laughing and they just were friends, and Chris even made a statement about how she said Martina was her friend longer than any of her husbands. So it was really funny, and I just thought, that's so like fun. I thought it was a great relationship how, you know, they had ups and downs, they said, in their relationship, but they also were always the last two in the locker room at the end of the week.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2G9Lwfv

No comments