Breaking News

Serena Williams explains why she doesn't think of herself as the GOAT

Serena Williams does not believe she is necessarily the greatest player of all time. In a recent press conference, the former world No. 1 said: 'I never really want to focus on the numbers. I started playing tennis not to be the greatest but just because I had a racquet and a dream. Now people are saying that I could be, but for me, I'm just not there yet. I feel like people like Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf, they just, right now, are just, to me, the ultimate icons in history and the history of women's tennis. I just am still that girl with the racquet and a ream, and I'm just playing for that.'

Serena also made a comparison between her father Richard and her coach Patrick Mouratoglou: 'I think their personalities are completely different. But, yeah, one of the main reasons I was able to work with Patrick is because he was telling me a lot of the same things that my father told me. I think that had he told me something opposite or something different or, you know, he wasn't just doing almost, you know, similar stuff, I would not be able to work with that because I just wouldn't accept it.'

Serena also backed the possible best of five matches introduction in Majors: 'The top players, the women, we always told the Grand Slams initially that we are willing, ready, and able to play the best‑of‑five if that was what made the difference between, at the time, equal prize money or match scheduling or whatever it took. So, yeah, we're all ready. I think not just me and Venus. Several other players that are willing to do whatever it takes.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2G4sAia

No comments