Breaking News

Serena Williams reveals her biggest childhood idols

In a recent press conference, Serena Williams spoke about her biggest childhood idols. 'I watched Steffi (Graf) and Martina (Navratilova) a little bit. I didn't get to see so much of Chris (Evert). I know she was a great player. I definitely must add Venus on that list at the top of the list, because she definitely helped me play great faster. I loved watching Martina Navratilova growing up. I don't play anything like her.'

Serena also spoke about her earliest US Open memory: 'I think some of my first memories were definitely of Venus playing here and doing so well I believe in '97.'

Serena finally recalled her 1999 US Open title: 'It's so funny, and whenever anyone asks me about that, I honestly, when the tournament started, I told myself I was going to win and I felt it. It's weird. I have these weird feelings all the time, and I just felt I was going to win this tournament. I wasn't really surprised. I was happy and elated, but I just had this instinct. It's just weird, but I had that instinct that I was going to win this title. And I beat in the final ‑‑ all the players I played I had pretty much beaten before. I had beaten Martina a few times and Monica and Lindsay. I knew I could do it. It was just putting them all together.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2AW9PYe

No comments