Breaking News

Serena Williams says women can play best of five sets matches

Serena Williams believes that women can play at the best of five sets in Grand Slam matches just like men. The American player said: 'I think one of the things about that argument, the reason I think it's null, is because we have said we're willing and ready. I think every female athlete is ready to play five sets. Actually, the tournaments have said, No, we like you guys playing three sets. I don't think it's a fair argument at all.'

Asked if she thinks the media seriously plays an important role in getting the story out to fans and non‑fan, Serena replied: 'I do. That's one of the reasons why women's tennis is one of the pioneers for all women's sports is the media giving it great support, great feedback, and great articles. Not only that, you have great tournaments like Wimbledon, people who have never played tennis, they know Wimbledon, they tend to watch these events like Wimbledon, they tend to watch the US Open because they're such huge events. I think having those big staples in tennis makes it exciting.'

Serena didn't deny she may become a tennis coach in the future. It will definitely be difficult for the 23-time Grand Slam winner to consistently travel as she is a mother, but she said: 'I never really thought about it. I never would say no to anything because I actually never thought I would play this long. So who knows? There's always apparently opportunities. Obviously, it's not something I would want to do, but I don't even know if I would be a good coach. We'd have to see.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Un8a74

No comments