Breaking News

Excited Stan Wawrinka: I want to compete for the biggest titles

Stan Wawrinka is set to compete at the Mexican Open in Acapulco from 25 February to 2 March. This will be his first appearance in the tournament since 2013. Explaining why he picked Acapulco over Dubai, Wawrinka said: 'My team and I decided that it was the moment to make a change... I am focusing on my tennis. I have good memories of Dubai, I won the 2016 title, but I want to make a change and get amazing results in Acapulco.'

Wawrinka achieved his best result in the Mexican event in 2012 reaching the quarter-finals, and he wants to do better. 'I am focusing on working hard and results will come. I would definitely like that in 2019 I would make a step forward than in 2012 and play the final, but when the date comes I will have to show that I can do it.'

Wawrinka underwent a knee surgery in August 2017 and he struggled in 2018, slowly trying to get to the top. Analyzing his next goals, the 33-year-old said: 'I focus on good things and on what I can control. I work hard in the prevention exercises and I focus on my game. I feel I have a couple of great years ahead and I will do all the possible to play at the highest level. The most important thing for me is to stay healthy. If I am healthy, I know I can achieve great results. I am not focusing on rankings now but, obviously, I want to compete for the biggest titles.'

Wawrinka started 2019 season on a good note defeating Karen Khachanov and Nicolas Jarry in the Qatar Open of Doha, and then, eventually lost to Roberto Bautista Agut in the quarter-finals. He is now training in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open.

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FpOLNU

No comments