Breaking News

Playing super tie-break is a good innovation, says Novak Djokovic

In press conference after his four-set win over Daniil Medvedev at the Australian Open, Novak Djokovic backed the fifth set tie-break rule that was introduced by this tournament in the Grand Slams.

The Serbian player said: 'I actually thought it was a good change, a good innovation to say you play super-tiebreak. I don't mind it personally. I'm more in favor of closing out the match in a tiebreak or super-tiebreak rather than going for 11 hours like Isner and Mahut. Those type of matches are part of the history and I understand that, and I understand that, you know, those are the matches that you remember. But I think statistically percentage-wise if you see, I mean, there is just a lot of matches that people don't recall, you know, that go the distance. And then actually the players who are part of those matches get hurt for the next round, like Isner did actually against Mahut in Wimbledon. He retired his next match or he couldn't move. So that's the only part, you know. I think the super-tiebreak is fine. In regards to all the four slams having different, four different rules, you know, it's not something we used to see because they are very united in every, so to say, innovation or change, but I don't see it in any negative context, you know, towards their unit or players. You know, it's actually interesting that for them to have a different rule.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2R6opCG

No comments