Breaking News

Roberto Bautista Agut reveals he could have been a footballer

In an interview to AS, Roberto Bautista Agut said he could have had a future as a football player. It was the Spanish player himself, who reached a Grand Slam quarter-final for the first time in his career at the Australian Open, to tell it all. "It was not an easy decision, because as a kid my goal was to be a football player, but the life has different ways", said Bautista Agut. "I picked tennis without knowing if I would do it well, and now I am very happy for my sports career and all the values and the education that the game gave me.'

Who helped him to choose? 'My father wanted me to play football and my mother, tennis. They did not get in clash and they did not give an opinion that could influence me either. I was playing in Villareal, that had been in the first championship league for a couple of years.'

What did he learn about football that helped him in tennis? 'The feet coordination, because the quickness on court without that, does not exist. Moving well is important. On this level, football gave me a lot.'

When he picked the racket, what his reference points were? 'Juan Carlos Ferrero and David Ferrer, the players I looked up to. I had the luck to have a lot of moments in training with them and off-court as well. I learned a lot."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2S6hwFO

No comments